University Church at Fordham University is the main chapel on campus. The lighting design goals for the 1854 structure were primarily to increase the light levels, which were extremely low, and to provide quality lighting in the sanctuary for web-casting of Mass. Our secondary requirements were to replace the existing 20-year old dimming and control system with one that was more flexible and easier to use, and to reduce the connected load.
The greatest challenge of this project was unobtrusively supplementing the existing illumination. The University was very clear that the new design should enhance, but not change, the ambience of the church. Each proposed addition or change was mocked up in situ for evaluation and approval by the stakeholders. Stakeholder concerns were addressed and satisfied through subsequent mock-ups.
Despite adding 235' of LED cove and five 575W framing projectors, the energy effient re-lamping of the existing fixtures resulted in a 21% reduction in energy use.